Friday, 14 September 2018

Longworth Education Nitty Gritty PBL and the curriculum


My journey into Play-based learning started when I was an RTLB- I researched the philosophy as part of my EBIP paper for supporting the transition from ECE to School. The next part of my journey is about PBL in practice - The research I have done shows that it is the way to move forward but I needed to challenge my conventional practice and investigate how it would look/work in a real classroom context. The benefits to young people are well documented from their abilities to problem solve and work collaboratively with others, to building relationships and thinking in open ways. Play is how children make sense of the world around them and explore cause and effect. They figure out, through trial and error, the basic math concepts that we otherwise spend hours trying to teach them. They expand their oral language and have energetic and enthusiastic conversations about the things that they have discovered. My teaching programme is constantly evolving when I am observing and interacting with the children in play-based activities. Their needs and urges are clearly displayed and I can adapt what we do immediately if needed.

One of the biggest parts of play-based learning is the positive transition for children to start school whether they come from an early learning facility or a home environment. The most important thing is for them to have a positive attitude to school and a love of learning which a play based learning environment fosters best. I believe strongly in fighting against the assessable skills model and pushing for a more well-rounded approach that focuses first on a love of learning and how to learn rather than measuring student achievement against a yardstick of subject-specific skills from such a young age. The Key Competencies in our curriculum are an excellent place to focus on play-based learning classrooms. These are the skills we should be looking for and fostering in our youngest learners to get them ready for the individual strands of the curriculum. If these skills are ingrained in everything they do their time at school will be overarched by these values leading to a more holistic learning experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment