Wednesday, 26 September 2018

Integrating Te Reo more effectively and with more authenticity - Session with Marian Pearce


Today I meet with Marian Pearce - our Maori in the Mainstream PLD facilitatior from the University of Auckland.

The focus of my discussions with Marian was:
  • to increase the level of opportunities for Te Reo and use it naturally
  • to increase kupu - 1 kupu and phrase a week, use instead of English equivalent
  • that every teaching moment is an opportunity to incorporate te reo/ te ao Māori
  • to start the day and finish with te reo
  • to have greater interchange from English to Maori as often as possible
  • we discussed Keeing it small and regular
  • Using Kupu and posters as prompts not just decoration
  • Being open and not afraid to try - do as much as you can in maori and interchange to english when/where you’re having trouble
  • Encourage social use of language not just instructional
  • Have reo games for tamariki to use independently and in small groups

Classroom practice
Te Aō Māori inclusion
Morning greeting
Roll Call
Greetings:
Mōrena Tamariki ma! - Morning tamariki mā
Ata Mārie tamariki mā - Good morning tamariki mā

Roll Call
Kei kōnei a James?  Is James here?
Aē! Yes,  
Kei kōnei ahau  I am here

Kāo!  No!
Kei hea a James?  Where is James?
Kei te kainga!  At home

Kia Ora James  Hello James
Kei te pēhea koe?  How are you?
Kei te………..  I am …………..

Waiata for Morning
Tēna Koe
Tēna Koe
Kei te pēhea koe?  How are you?
Kei te hari
Kei te hari
Kei te hari ahau  I am happy

Pepeha waiata
Ko James taku ingoa
Ko James taku ingoa
Kia Ora koutou
Nō Kaikohe ahau
Reo whakamanawa
Language to Encourage and Inspire
Encouraging
Kia mau!
Hang in there!
Kia kaha!
Be strong, keep going!
Kia toa!
Be brave!
Ka taea koe!
You can do it!
Wepua atu!
Give it your all!
Giving Praise
Tau kē!
Fantastic!
Tūmeke!
Awesome!
Te ataahua hoki!
That’s beautiful!
Ka mau te wehi!
That’s amazing!
Kei te runga nōa atu koe!
You’re the best!
Helping resolve situations
He aha te mate?
What’s the matter/problem?
Kei te pai koe?
Are you ok?
Kei te pai kourua?
Are you 2 ok?
Te āhua nei, kei te pōuri koe
It looks like you’re sad
Te āhua nei, kei te pōuri kourua?
It looks like you both are sad
Te āhua nei, kei te riri koe
It looks like you’re angry
Te āhua nei, kei te riri kourua
It looks like you both are angry
Te āhua nei, kei te hōhā koe
It looks like you’re annoyed
Te āhua nei, kei te hōhā kourua
It looks like you both are annoyed
KEI TE ĀWHINA AU?
CAN I HELP?
Caring reminders
Kia tupato
Be careful
Kia pai koa tō kōrero
Please speak nicely
Kia awhi kourua
Help each other/care for each other
Awhi tō hoa
Look after your friend
Tiaki tō hoa
Protect your friend
Kia ngāwari ō ringa
Gentle hands
Kaua koa e whawhai e kourua
Please don’t you two fight/argue

CROSS CURRICULAR PLANNING MAP
Kaupapa/ Topic: Awa

Subtopic 1
Water care - rivers
Cross Curricular
Science, Music, Te Reo
Language Intention:
Students will be able to identify Māori words associated with water care

Students will be able to share what it means to be a kaitiaki

Kupu
River - awa
Sea - moana
Rubbish - rāpihi
Dirty - paru
protect/caretakers - kaitiaki
Life force - mauri
Treasure - taonga
Sentences
He kaitiaki ahau - I am a protector/ guardian

He kaitiaki ahau mō te awa - I am a guardian of the river

Although I am small, I am of great value -  Ahakoa he iti au he pounamu

Don’t pollute me, I go the sea - kaua e whakapokea ahau ka haere ahau ki te moana

Don’t be mean, Keep it clean - kaua he tikanga, tiakinga kia mā

Only rain down the drain - he ua noa iho te wai

Lend a hand to care for our sea - tuku atu i te ringa ki te tiaki i to moana

Although I am small, I am of great value -  Ahakoa he iti au he pounamu

Tikanga
The sea for Māori is not only a resource, but also a source of identity and whakapapa.

Māori have many tools for resource management and cycles for the use of natural resources were based around the seasons and the lunar calendar.
Waiata
Maisey Rika - Tangaroa
Maisey Rika - Translation of Tangaroa waiata
Ideas
Tangaroa -
Kaitiaki - guardian
The Marine World and Te Aō Māori - link



No comments:

Post a Comment